Saturday, April 30, 2011

One Pup's Love


I’m sitting here staring at my dog. She is a solid white, one-eyed, shed machine, also known as a husky. For three years, she has been my baby, but all that is about to change. I have to find her a new home by May 8th because I’m leaving for a three week long trip and then moving into a house that doesn’t allow pets. So for the next week, I’ll be reminiscing. I will start with a blog:
I bought her when she was just a puppy at eight weeks old. Basically she was an attempt to replace a lost love. My dad had passed away a month earlier, and I desperately needed something to love, that would love me back and distract me. They say the best way to move on from an old affection is to replace it with a new one. And she was an adorable affection. She looked like a kangaroo because her tail was too big for her body. It was the first time I had been allowed to get a puppy since I was five. I had searched the AKC website for four weeks, trying to find the perfect breeder and the perfect puppy.
When she finally came, I was so overjoyed. She hardly left my side for weeks. Luckily it was summer so we almost never had to be apart. If a friend was having a party or I was going to visit my grandparents, I would take her with me. We were a package deal. She slept in bed with me and for the first few weeks, I happily woke up every night at 3am to let her out. Trips to the dog park, the lake, and Petsmart were regular occurrences. If she got sick, I would stay up all night with
I think some dogs have intuitive knowledge of how you’re feeling, and Tori was definitely one of them. She would nuzzle up to my face when I would cry about my dad. She wasn’t intrusive, licking me excitedly. She wasn’t asleep and ignoring me. I could tell she trying to be close and loving. She can still tell when I’m upset. Normally she is a high energy pup, but when I’m upset she’ll just walk over and set her head on my leg, just like in the movies.
I will surely miss her. 


1 comment:

  1. Initially glancing at your blog post, I was hoping I could relate in some way to discussion of your dog. I thought there would be comments on how much you miss him, quirky habits he has, or funny stories you two share. But, after reading about your upcoming separation, my heart breaks for you. I cannot imagine losing a dog under those circumstances, especially after having such a strong attachment after the death of your father. I pass along my best wishes to you as you look for his new (or possibly temporary) home. May they show him the same love and care, and may you have an eye-opening experience in China as well. I have enjoyed class with you this semester. Best of luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete